qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Suggestion: additional parameter to specify raw disk size

From: André Braga
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion: additional parameter to specify raw disk size
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:48:12 -0200

Under Windows hosts at least, QEMU is unable to detect the real size
of a partition when the \\.\drive: syntax is used. I suspect *nix
hosts are affected as well as I somehow doubt that QEMU checks the
partition table for partition geometries...

For this reason, I suggest having an additional parameter to tell QEMU
the partition size in sectors. (No, -hdachs currently can't handle
this).

Maybe expanding -hdachs to support different forms of translation, and
turning it into a full-blown -hdgeom command, like

-hdgeom hda,lba,31455270 -hdgeom hdb,chs,16383,16,63,lba

Thoughts, comments?

Cheers,
A.