qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: user-net -redir working? [problem located]

From: Richard Neill
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: user-net -redir working? [problem located]
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:04:32 +0000

Re: User-net not working:

> Disabling the Nagle algorithm (i.e., enabling TCP_NODELAY) or typing a
> lot of garbage just to fill the buffer with enough data can help,
> also.
> > And IIRC, netcat has a UDP mode as well. I see no reason for this to
> happen, but is there any chance it's using UDP by default, and you're
> only redirecting TCP?
> > Good luck!

Thanks for your message.

I think that -redir really is broken: I've also been unsuccessful in trying to make it work using an FTP server on a Windows guest, and using the SSH server on a knoppix guest. Has anyone here ever had success with it? It also fails on hosts with 2 different versions of Mandrake.

Anyway, I've taken your suggestion, and run both ends with ethereal. Here's what I did:

HOST (Linux);
   qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d -user-net -redir tcp:2200::22

GUEST (Knoppix):
   Boot up, then start sshd. Verify that I can indeed do ssh
   address@hidden, and that PermitRootLogin is yes in sshd_config.

    Then, start ethereal (on the "any" interface)

HOST:
   Start ethereal (on the "any" interface")
   ssh -p 2200 address@hidden

  At this point, ssh just stalls. It's obviously waiting for something,
  but not known what. I get no output at all from it.

Can you try "ssh -p 2200 root@<my IP address not localhost>

I've run into this several times dealing with the -redir
function, especially since localhost resolves as 127.0.0.1.
On my Solaris host with a linux guest, the packet arriving
showed up as 127.0.0.1, which ended up with the same
behavior as you're describing.

Dear Ben,

Good guess! That's an ingenious bit of debugging, and it now works perfectly. I suppose that now means 3 things need to be done:

1)Figure out *why* it doesn't work. It's definitely QEMU-specific, since if I run 2 separate netcat processes on the host, I have no problem. I'd be interested to know why this occurs. In particular, is it a problem with the user-net stuff on the host, or a problem with the guest?

2)Fix it...   :-)

3)Document this on the website as a known bug, so Google can find it. Currently, anyone using an earlier version will just think that qemu is broken. It hasn't worked since at least 0.6.1, although I can't tell you about earlier versions.

I suspect that I am not up to the task of (2), so I must defer to the experts...

Best wishes,

Richard