qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Problem compiling with gcc 3.3 on 2.6.14 (Debian)

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Problem compiling with gcc 3.3 on 2.6.14 (Debian)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:09:54 +0100

2nd answer : news below.

Jim C. Brown wrote:
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 09:46:02AM +0100, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:

Dear List,

I recently upgraded to Linux 2.6.14 (as compiled as a 686 Debian package), and found that this distribution, too, has switched to GCC 4 for kernel.

I tried to recompile a plain vanilla qemu 0.7.2 tarball : I switched to gcc 3.3 for this (in /usr/bin : ln -sf gcc-3.3 gcc ; ln -sf gccbug-3.3 gccbug ; ln -sf cpp-3.3 cpp ), planning to switch back to GCC 4 for recompilation of the kqemu subdirectory. This failed.

Strange. Haven't heard of this one before.

Compiling the kqemu module should use the same compiler that the kernel uses
anyways. It doesn't use the same one that qemu uses, but the one in the kernel's
Makefile.

I also notice that your error seems to be with qemu-i386. This binary doesn't
use
kqemu at all, so either don't use kqemu (if all you care about is i386-user) or
compile i386-softmmu only (if you want to use kqemu and don't care aboui
i386-user).

Compiling i386-softmmu works (and the resulting executable works well indeed, at least with kqemu). Compiling x86_64-softmmu gives a $#!+load of errors (I'll send a logif someone needs it).

This does not allow to undrstand why the compilation of i386-user fails...

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier