qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X issues

From: Joachim Henke
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X issues
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:33:02 +0100

Thanks for the patch! I already browsed through the CVS history on savannah, but it's a bit tricky because some code parts moved between files when SMP support was added. Could you please provide a complete diff to the last fully working CVS snapshot? According to your patch, it dates back to September, right? I only looked at the changes since the beginning of November.

The GDB output I posted last time was generated after I had removed some 'inline' statements to find the correct code lines. The following is the result from unmodified CVS:

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000010
0x00062f98 in tb_phys_invalidate (tb=0x8cad00, page_addr=4294967295) at /Volumes/Data/build/qemu/exec-all.h:249
249     {

This is the path to the crash (each function calling the next one):

tb_invalidate_phys_page_range() [exec.c]
tb_phys_invalidate() [exec.c]
tb_reset_jump() [exec.c]
tb_set_jmp_target() [exec-all.h]

According to GDB, qemu crashes in the moment (or shortly after) when tb_set_jmp_target() is called (line 442, exec.c). As I wrote in my last post, the crash does not occur when cpu-exec.c is compiled with GCC4 while everything else is compiled with GCC3. Compiling only exec.c with GCC4 does not help. Since cpu-exec.c includes exec-all.h through target-pcc/exec.h this could be a point to start.

Already played around changing several pieces of the code - it does not help - maybe I'm just too blind...

Regards
Jo.

Mike Kronenberg wrote:
Attached a diff against the last fully working CVS Snapshot I had. (ie, before mp was commited)

I'm now scanning thru the changes in exec.c...

my guess is, that things stay as they are, since gcc4 is not a target in the near future as stated many times. The GCC4 warnings was only added, because there where a lot of annoying posts on the list about "can't compile on GCC4". So GCC4 is only a workaround :) for now. Thing is, that only qemu-system is working when compiled by gcc4, qemu-user not.

Mike