qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support

From: Trev Jackson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Parallel Port Support
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:08:27 +0000

Hi

I have also posted this (QEMU for Linux //// has anyone got their parallel
port working?) on the QEMU forum regarding this, but since I understand
parallel port support is recent I thought It might be useful to post on the
development list as well.

I am trying to capture my parallel port scanner setup data so a Linux driver
can be written, (portmon for windows doesn't capture anything).

I cannot currently get the scanner working on windows 98SE running on QEMU.

I first downloaded the QEMU binary, but QEMU wouldn't run with the parallel
port option enabled:

# qemu -parallel /dev/parport0 -dummy-net -enable-audio -localtime -boot c
windows.img
Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated
qemu: could not open parallel device '/dev/parport0'

I did the following to create the /dev/parport0 device:

modprobe parport-pc && modprobe ppdev
rmmod lp

I then ran
makedev /dev

and that created /dev/parport0 to /dev/parport7

I have now built QEMU 0.7.2 from source and am getting a similar error
message:

# qemu -parallel /dev/parport0 -dummy-net -enable-audio -localtime -boot c
windows.img
qemu: could not open parallel device '/dev/parport0'

Is this a problem with my set up or does this problem occur with everyones.

Best Regards

Trev