qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Current x86_64 status

From: Magnus Damm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Current x86_64 status
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:42:48 +0900

Hi Jan,

On 12/15/05, Jan Kratochvil <address@hidden> wrote:
> I could not find anywhere - is the current QEMU CVS snapshot GNU/Linux x86_64
> incompatibility a known bug?
>
> I tried to install Fedora Core 4, 5test1, Mandriva 2006.0, Debian 3.1r0a and
> all of these always somehow crash during installer initialization:
>         http://www.jankratochvil.net/priv/qemu-x86_64/
>
> Any other recommended QEMU version/snapshot/patches for x86_64?

I'm unsure regarding the current status of the x86_64 system
emulation, especially the userspace part. I think I've seen the same
thing when I tried the x86_64 system emulator a while ago.

Good thing is that I've been able to run a custom compiled x86_64
kernel with ia32 userspace filesystem in the x86_64 system emulator.
It works fine for me, as long as the kernel is not SMP. Perfect for
x86_64 kernel hacking.

Cheers,

/ magnus