qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu - where will it go?

From: Wesley Parish
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu - where will it go?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:25 +1300

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:20, Oliver Gerlich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> that's an interesting topic you bring up there :D
>
> It looks like there are many different groups which all have quite
> different uses of qemu on their mind... Jürgen, you think about a
> _really_ stable "hardware" platform; other people think about a honeypot
> framework; even other people want to have lots of different system
> architectures for software development and testing; I myself just want a
> way to have a Windows available on my Linux PC, for gaming and running
> Windows apps. Not to mention the various toy-like uses, like the Linux
> screensaver. And if I got that correctly, one of the original uses of
> qemu was to run wine on PPC - ironically, this is probably not such an
> issue now, with Apple switching to x86 :)
>
> So, to me it seems like the many different uses of qemu indeed need a
> very different qemu each; and though I'm not a qemu developer at all
> (and hence can't "demand" any specific direction of development), I'd be
> glad if qemu wouldn't just go into one direction.
> Maybe it is indeed about time to think about the "main uses" that qemu
> should satisfy. For me, that would be the "Windows-sandbox on my Desktop
> Linux": with a nice GUI, an assistant to help with the creation of a new
> image, with some guest-side tools for more convenience, with not too
> slow graphics, and without big ties to the host system.
>
> Jürgen has stated his desired functionality already. What other "main
> uses" are there? (Asked in the hope of further sparking the discussion ;)

Well, my main interest is in running MS Windows (as many versions as possible)
on my Linux box for gaming and development purposes - eg, rewriting various
bits and pieces of DOOM and Quake etc, using MinGW, etc, testing new and
up-and-coming F/LOS OSes such as ReactOS and Syllable, and suchlike.

Wesley Parish
<Snip>