qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A number of OSes do not work with kqemu

From: Bakul Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A number of OSes do not work with kqemu
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:49:38 -0800

> I have never tied openbsd, but I have run NetBsd and Plan9(4th edition)
> under Qemu .8.0 with kqemu in windows. You may have to not use kqemu to
> install, i seem to remember doing that.  Once installed though it works
> fine. Also I had to turn hyperthreading off. I have a P4 with 1gb of
> ram. I had allocated 128 for plan 9 and 256 for netbsd. I also remeber
> not having alot of luck running Plan 9 from the CD, even on a real PC.
> It may be a freebsd thing.

It is not clear under what host/osversion kqemu can be used reliably.
See

http://m2.dad-answers.com/qemu-forum/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=cc4b0c564718db9b16ef279d73017615
for more reports of kqemu not working.  under FreeBSD.  Also
there was a report on 9fans mailing about kqemu not working
on a ubuntu linux host.  They are not all A bug does not have
to manifest itself everywhere before it gets fixed.  I gaver
a clear repeatable test that works on at least freebsd (but I
suspect also on some linux versions) which should make it
easy to track this down.  Unfortunately I can't do much more
than this not having kqemu sources (which is its authors's
right -- I am just pointing out what I can do under the
circumstance).