qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -kernel-kqemu

From: Kazu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -kernel-kqemu
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:02:23 +0900

Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 7:01 AM Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will update the documentation about "-kernel-kqemu" soon.
>
> To be short: as some people already noticed, this option allows to run
> user code and most of the kernel code on "bare metal". The result is
> usually a noticable speed up. Only the following guest OSes are
> supported: Linux, Windows 2000 or XP. The installation of Windows
> 2000/XP must be run without the -kernel-kqemu option.
>
> I did not test the win32 and x86_64 versions of kqemu yet, but the i386
> version is usable.

I tested it on Windows XP host. But linux.img in linux-test package and
Win2k don't boot.

A strange thing is that when I used RedHat 7.2 guest, user-kqemu is much
slower than no-kqemu.

On Fedora Core 4 host, Win2k boots fine and is faster than user-kqemu and
no-kqemu. Great!

linux.img from linux-test package also works fine with kernel-kqemu,
user-kqemu on FC4 host.

But FC4-i386-rescuecd.iso guest doesn't boot with kernel-kqemu. It works
with user-kqemu and no-kqemu.
I can see about TSC error messages.

Morphix.iso doesn't boot with kernel-kqemu. It works with user-kqemu and
no-kqemu.
I couldn't see booting logo.

And a strange thing is that when I used Redhat 7.2 guest, user-kqemu is much
slower than no-kqemu.  And kernel-kqemu is much slower than user-kqemu.
It is the same result as on WinXP host.

I seems that Linux guest doesn't work well.

PS. user-kqemu means no option.

Regards,
Kazu