qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -kernel-kqemu and a linux guest

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -kernel-kqemu and a linux guest
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:57:28 +0400

Brad Campbell wrote:
G'day all,

I've had *great* results running win2k and xp with -kernel-kqemu on an Athlon host under linux 2.6, however my experiments using a linux guest have resulted in complete kernel bombs.. Is there anything I should be doing/thinking about when compiling a linux kernel for use as a guest under -kernel-kqemu?

All the ones I have tried thus far (from debian stock kernels through to latest GIT) have just oopsed or segfaulted early in the boot process..

More info..
Tried with a brand new shiny 2.6.15.6 kernel..
screendump and .config at http://fnarfbargle.dyndns.org:81/qemu-oops/
Also oops2.jpg is the vanilla Debian 2.4 kernel from R3.1

I've tried 2.6 with the command line:
qemu -hda vm-1.img -kernel /tracks/linux/linux-2.6.15-rc7-git6-qemu/arch/i386/boot/bzImage -m 64 -kernel-kqemu

and 2.4 with the command line (as it boots from grub and the kernel is in the
hard disk image):
qemu -hda vm-1.img -m 64 -kernel-kqemu

Without kqemu and just usermode kqemu it works just dandy.

My host is a PIII laptop :

bklaptop:~>cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 11
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU      1000MHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 733.358
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1468.39

I'm using the very latest kqemu binary and latest qemu cvs

Qemu compiled with

bklaptop:~>gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-10)

Host and Guest Kernel and kqemu module compiled with

bklaptop:~>gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 20060212 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-9)

Regards,
Brad