qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] -win2k-hack needed to do Windows Update?

From: Andrew Barr
Subject: [Qemu-devel] -win2k-hack needed to do Windows Update?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:46:25 -0500

Hi again. I'm still working on my Windows 2000 SP4 VM, and I've discovered
that running Windows Update (Internet Explorer 6) causes behavior similar to
the "disk full" bug encountered during Windows 2000 setup. When it gets to
the part where it's looking for updates (the green scrolling bar), there is
excessive disk activity and the VM slows down significantly. This is both
with and without -kernel-kqemu. I've monitored the size of the disk image
while the VM thrases away, and it steadily gets larger. I've not let it
completely fill up, but I've seen it add 2 gigabytes to the disk size in the
space of fifteen minutes. Just for kicks, I added -win2k-hack to my bootup
options and tried Windows Update. It's running now--so far so good but the
disk is working a bit much for my taste. At least it is moving forward,
albeit a bit slowly. I just thought I'd mention this here because I've not
seen this behavior documented anywhere else.

In case you didn't read my earlier message, I'm running Win2K SP4 on QEMU CVS
with -kernel-kqemu and kqemu 1.3.0pre3. Host is Linux 2.6.16 (Debian sid).

--
Andrew Barr                     | 1024D/AD9AE76A
address@hidden  | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew

And now for something completely different.