qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VM Memory limit with kernel-kqemu?

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VM Memory limit with kernel-kqemu?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:39:24 +0400

--RESEND-- Can someone let me know if this comes through twice? I'm having huge problems getting through to the list it would appear.

Andrew Barr wrote:
I'm running a Windows 2000 SP4 guest on a Linux 2.6.16 host with Qemu CVS and kqemu 1.3.0pre3. I am trying to use -kernel-kqemu. I have been allocating 256 MB of RAM to my guest (out of 768 MB total) and I have found that using that amount of memory with -kernel-kqemu causes Windows 2000 to freeze at the graphical boot up screen (after 'Starting Windows...') and qemu to take up 95-100% CPU. Reducing the amount of guest RAM to 160 MB makes that problem go away. I also tried 192 MB and that did not work. Is there a limit to the amount of memory that may be used with the -kernel-kqemu option?

I've used it with 512M with no problems.. how big is your tmpfs on the host?

I found a while ago (prior to -kernel-kqemu) nasty things happened if you tried
to allocate more
memory than you had space available in /tmp

I have mine configured for 1.5GB (I have 3GB of ram) and I can run 3 concurrent
sessions, 2 with
512MB and 1 with 256MB and no problems. (All win2k sp4 guests)

192.168.2.82:/nfsroot
                      165G   68G   89G  44% /
tmpfs                 1.5G  4.0K  1.5G   1% /dev/shm
none                  1.5G  1.2M  1.5G   1% /tmp
tmpfs                  10M  2.7M  7.4M  27% /dev

Regards,
Brad