qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu version 1.3.0pre5

From: Ed Swierk
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu version 1.3.0pre5
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:38:20 -0800

On 3/28/06, Jens Axboe <address@hidden> wrote:
> > monitor/mwait feature present.
> > using mwait in idle threads.
>
> [snip]
>
> > invalid operand: 0000 [#1]
> > Modules linked in:
> > CPU:    0
> > EIP:    0060:[<c0101147>]    Not tainted VLI
> > EFLAGS: 00010246   (2.6.14-1.1656_FC4)
> > EIP is at mwait_idle+0x2f/0x41
>
> I don't think qemu supports PNI, which includes the monitor/mwait
> additions. I wonder why Linux detects that. You can probably get around
> it for now by either passing idle=poll as a boot parameter, or compile
> your kernel for plain i586 for instance.

It seems that with -kernel-kqemu, the guest kernel is seeing the CPUID
of the host machine rather than the one normally generated by qemu.

The workarounds you suggest do work--thanks for your help. However,
ideally kqemu would trap the CPUID instruction and mask the feature
bits for unsupported CPU features.

--Ed