qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing ARMv6 instructions?

From: Wolfgang Schildbach
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing ARMv6 instructions?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:22:37 +0200

The way I understand this is that anyone who got ARM documentation with
the license that Paul mentioned, could not contribute patches that
implement v6 emulation. If, however, someone else (who has not signed such
a license) were to buy documentation about the ARMv6 architecture that
comes without a license (for example, the "ARM System Developer's Guide",
by Sloss, Symes, and Wright, Elsevier 2004), that someone should be able
to contribute (at least in those aspects of the ARM that are disclosed by
the book). In that case, ARM should not have any legal hooks except
copyright, and since at that point you are not using any of their code,
there is no case. However, I am not a lawyer, so don't take my word for
it.

As to the threats to ARM's business model, I could see them threatened if
someone emulated the ARM on hardware of similar performance (without
licensing ARM IP) -- that would undermine sales of the real ARM cores,
depending on the price/performance point of the replacement. Software
emulation of an ARM core on a 4 GHz Pentium is hardly an alternative to
buying the real thing, though... I also find it hard to believe that
building a product competitive to an ARM is possible using a description
of the instruction set alone.

That said, I agree with Paul that lobbying ARM to change their license is
probably a better route to go. I believe software emulators like qemu are
really in ARMs best interest since they support ARM development and
thereby increase the availability of software for ARM cores.

- Wolfgang

Disclaimer: The views stated above are entirely mine, and do not
necessarily reflect the views of my employer.