qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing ARMv6 instructions?

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Missing ARMv6 instructions?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 01:00:46 -0600 (MDT)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Karel Gardas <address@hidden> writes:
: On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Jamie Lokier wrote:
:
: > Chris Wilson wrote:
: >>> I find it strange that ARM would restrict emulation of their architecture
: >>> -- that could hardly pose a threat to their business, I would say.
: >>
: >> Unfortunately, I don't. ARM probably makes quite a lot of money from
: >> their development tools (compilers, debuggers, simulators) as well as
: >> actual chips, and they have been an extensive user of software patents,
: >> even in the EU where they are probably not valid.
: >>
: >> How about we target OpenCores instead of ARM?
: >
: > I like the idea, but do you know of anyone using OpenCores devices
: > implemented in silicon?  It seems to me the motivation for ARM
: > emulation is to be able to simulate embedded devices that people may
: > feasibly end up using.
:
: IMHO majority of embedded devices is still ARM7TDMI based and this
: instruction set (ARMv4 IIRC) should be emulated well in Qemu. Also please
: have a look at www.skyeye.org project to see how other projects do
: emulation for actual embedded devices.

You mean badly emulate the embedded devices, and only few of them to
boot?

Warner