qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vmware puts up specs for it's disk format

From: David Fraser
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vmware puts up specs for it's disk format
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:58:36 +0200

Jim C. Brown wrote:
On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:09:06AM +0200, maestro wrote:
This is already supported, as is creating them and using them directly.
(I was amazed when I first found out as well.)

afaik they are only supported when the images consist of only 1 file. at
least i was not able to run split images (e.g. every 2gb)

as always i might be wrong on this

Your right about this - but I talked to one of the vmdk developers, and he
said that the lack of support was due to the lack of demand. (It is real
easy to use dd to convert split images into single images, so support for this
is not really needed.)

Basically, if u want split images to be supported in qemu, speak up now. ;)
I speak! It would be great to be able to use the split images, so that you don't have to alter the files to import them into qemu... Particularly using split files directly and then being able to use the same image from vmware...

David