qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:04:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Leonardo E. Reiter wrote:

> this virtual Wacom tablet you refer to... is there a [free or built-in]
> Windows 2000/XP driver associated with it that supports either no
> acceleration and/or absolute positioning?

Frankly, I do not know if they are free. But as nobody pays me to play
with QEmu, I do not care about Windows so much. And the Wacom drivers for
Linux are free.

BTW I prefer a virtual wacom tablet to Summagraphics, since kudzu (the
hardware detection which is used in Knoppix) can detect it. Unfortunately
just the USB version :-(

>  If so, perhaps I can look at implementing it in QEMU in my "spare" time
> ;) Do you have a link to documentation and/or drivers?

Wow! What an offer! I have some documentation somewhere, I just had a
look, and only found the Summagraphics documentation. I will look harder.

> If the guest OS can't be easily told to not do any acceleration and/or
> use absolute cursor positioning rather than relative moves, it's not
> that helpful to have a new type of input device.  I suspect a tablet
> driver can be easily configured this way since design people who
> probably use these devices want perfect precision between pointer and
> screen - otherwise they'd probably just use a mouse/trackball.  But you
> can never be sure how Microsoft (or Wacom) decided to implement the
> Windows version of the driver.

My favourite cartoonist, Jamiri, is very proud of his Wacom tablet. IIRC,
it has an integrated LCD display. So, I assume absolute positioning is
automatically switched on with that tablet.

> The mouse sync solution we have in Win4Lin Pro is okay, but it's a bit
> slow and I'd like to do something much cleaner.  Of course if I do the
> wacom tablet implementation, it will be open source and part of QEMU
> itself.
>
> Thanks!

Thank you!

Ciao,