qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC terminal server?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:15:22 -0400

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Frankly, I do not know if they are free. But as nobody pays me to play with QEmu, I do not care about Windows so much. And the Wacom drivers for Linux are free.
Yes, I understand. I've been looking at the XFree86 version of the driver already. Unfortunately any time I spend on this will have to apply to Windows guests as well, as you can imagine. My company sells Windows-on-Linux software that uses QEMU, so it has to play with Windows guests ;) In fact, there was a recent PS/2 mouse patch on this list and a hack for XFree86 which was very simple. I didn't try it, but if you are using Linux guests you can probably get absolute positioning very easily. I don't recall who posted the patch - it was recent. The fix for the guest X server is very simple as well.

BTW I prefer a virtual wacom tablet to Summagraphics, since kudzu (the hardware detection which is used in Knoppix) can detect it. Unfortunately just the USB version :-(
Yes, given the state of USB in QEMU it's probably best to stick to serial for now if you want something that works very reliably and soon. Serial would be my intention. The only issue may be how this plays with Windows guests - again, this is very important to me.

Wow! What an offer! I have some documentation somewhere, I just had a look, and only found the Summagraphics documentation. I will look harder.
Thanks!

My favourite cartoonist, Jamiri, is very proud of his Wacom tablet. IIRC, it has an integrated LCD display. So, I assume absolute positioning is automatically switched on with that tablet.
I would think so too. But, in looking at the XFree86 version of the driver, it's apparently configurable and my fear is that Windows will flick it to relative mode so it can play acceleration tricks. But anyway, it's worth investigating.

Actually Jim C. Brown just posted a note that there is an existing patch, but I can't seem to find it. Jim, I'd be glad to look at it even though you are saying that it is still flaky - perhaps it can be fixed.

Thanks,

Leo Reiter

--
Leonardo E. Reiter
Vice President of Product Development, CTO

Win4Lin, Inc.
Virtual Computing from Desktop to Data Center
Main: +1 512 339 7979
Fax: +1 512 532 6501
http://www.win4lin.com