qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] Unified device model

From: Stanislav Shwartsman
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] Unified device model
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 21:56:35 +0200

Hello All,

I'll try to answer to everybody in single mail and explain my vision of
unified plugin API and why I see them essential.

Yes, I am Bochs developer, but I am more CPU expert and only learning the
devices subsystem and dynamic translation subjects so Bochs is a right place
for me ;) I am pretty understand all the Bochs code including devices and
also have some vision of highly portable and extendable simulator.

Now I'll try to explain how I see the plugin architecture and why I think it
essential.

- I am not talking about binary level plugins support and maintenance or
sources level.
- I am not talking about open source or closed source, commercial and
freeware devices for emulator, but I think the plugin architecture should
support both.
- I not think the plugin API should be C++, actually Bochs plugin API is
pure-C based. The device itself is written in C++ but it has something like
C++ -> C proxy implemented as a part of plugin API. I think here we are
agree.
- It is doesn't matter if the plugin is shared or static library, the code
size of Bochs or QEMU is so small and I don't think it is important feature
to "share" devices in memory.

The keyword is expendability. Now if you would like to write a new device
for Bochs or QEMU you cannot open a separate project on SF.net and start
development. Even if you need to add some exotic experimental device which
is not exists in real life you should interfere with simulator code.
Moreover, if you need to add this device to Bochs, QEMU and Xen you
basically have to do the work three times !

I hope I am not disclose any secret if I say that HiPEAC beginning a new
project of open source full-system simulator, something that could be
alternative to SimpleScalar and also have full-system emulation capabilities
(platform + power + performance in single box). The simulator would reuse
the devices from some existent open source emulator, Bochs or QEMU. But as
any academia model it should be highly extendable and super-modular. The
ability to add a new device to the system without touching the main
simulator kernel is a MUST.

I believe it is right direction too. Somebody could establish a new project
of developing new device and when contribute the device when it will be
done. In my opinion, it is even not important if the device written in C/C++
or any other language, if it is distributed with sources or not, under
commercial license or not. If I could download device binary, plug it in to
the simulator and get new capabilities, which were not available before -
why not ?

I could provide more and more examples, more and more advantages of this
arch and almost no disadvantages. There are a lot of successful examples of
products with extendable user plugins where functionality of the product as
a very small piece near the variety of plugins written by users.

Now the advantages of making every device separate library (shared or
static). When every device is separate library you try to build your
emulated system by yourself choosing the CPU core emulator + chipset plugin
+ devices plugins you want. If some set of plugins distributed as single
library - they are not separatable one from another. This is only a
disadvantage which could simply avoided, so again, why not ?

I am already not talking about devices maintenance. The best example is
Brendan BIOS. Brendan started a new project of writing new ACPI-compatible
BIOS for open source emulators. His BIOS require ACPI compatibility changes
in the device models and CPU emulator and Bochs already started to support
his requirements. Currently, when his BIOS will be done, QEMU will remain
behind it and not be able to run with it. Anyway, to support the
requirements the work should be done 2-3 times, from the beginning for each
simulator.

The Bochs will start from some PCI device and try to separate it from the
simulator code, compile it stand-alone and make it pluginable in run-time.
Why PCI device ? Just because it has more functionality than PC-speaker card
and require more interference with core simulator. Actually might be several
device models for core plugins (chipset, PCI bus, AGP bus), ISA/PCI cards
and COM devices, everything is open. During the separation work I hope to
figure out requirements from devices and simulator core for new plugin
architecture. In Bochs, a lot of changes required to make it happen, and we
believe we'll make it possible until next Bochs 2.3 release.

Thanks,
Stanislav