qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 issues questions

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 issues questions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:16:17 +0400

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
I'm sorry to bring this issues back from the dead:

* Full disk issues
* Service pack issues

I Do know that both these issues have been dealt before, but yet,
there is no "fix" from the QEMU application itself, compared to the
"competitors"..

One thing that I don't understand is: are these issues related to DMA
implementation in QEMU or rather to a specific chipset implementation?

Just to back up what Leo said.. I have his %16 -win2k-hack patch installed (which is required as you need to add the delay to DMA IO also) and if I leave -win2k-hack enabled I find very little performance degradation.. in addition to it enabling windows update to work. I'm sure it's either slowing down the VM or wasting cpu cycles, but it does work and does not knock things about noticeably (and I test on a PIII-M 1Ghz running at 750Mhz to give kinda worst case performance testing)

I do recall not having these issues with an async-io patch installed, but the last async-io patch I used changed the virtual ide controller and made all my vm's useless. I'm somewhat reticent to install another patch that is going to require me to re-install all my vm's.. but if there is one floating about that does not change the virtual hardware and is pretty self contained I'd be more than happy to run it through my test suite.

Brad