qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Updated BGR vs. RGB vga patch...

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Updated BGR vs. RGB vga patch...
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:22:07 -0400

Hi Thiemo,

the goal of my patch (and the original which I derived from) was to give the VGA device the ability to display correctly on BGR X servers. Most likely this is for target-i386 emulation, such as for running Windows guests. That's my need for the patch anyway. In my case, I'm trying to get the colors to look right on a Sun Ray thin client served up from an x86_64 Linux box running the SRSS software from Sun (SunRay server basically.) The emulator sessions run Windows 2000/XP, hence the need for VGA fixes.

If the O2's 24-bit display is similar to the Sun's (i.e. B/G/R, 24-bit depth, 32-bit pixel width), then the patch should fix the problem on the O2 as well when using PC hardware emulation (i.e. i386-softmmu)

- Leo Reiter

Thiemo Seufer wrote:

FWIW, the SGI O2 has the same problem, I heard the Xorg server got
fixed recently to take this into account. I don't know if the fix is
O2 specific.

Btw, wouldn't it be the right thing to add a Sun framebuffer emulation
instead of fiddling with VGA? Or is the hardware in question actually
VGA compatible?

Thiemo