qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] why is kqemu closed?

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] why is kqemu closed?
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:33:46 +0200

On 10/04/06, Leonardo E. Reiter <address@hidden> wrote:
> No it's not!  In fact, in the latest version, he explicitly gives it a
> commercial ("Proprietary") license.  He also does not import any
> exported GPL symbols from the kernel.  In fact, if your claim is true,
Legally, even without the "Propriotary" tag, or even importing some
GPL symbols from the kernel, kqemu is still absolutely valid. Anything
released to the public by anyone is legal as long as it doesn't
include (in it's content) parts of other people's copyrighted work. In
this sense, kqemu can import whatever symbols it wants and have
whatever license tag because when you download kqemu you're not
downloading any piece of kernel's code as a part of kqemu.
Now, whether using kqemu together with a linux kernel will still be
legal is a different issue, but here the question is whether the user
is breaking the law, not the author.