qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Making the disk image optional

From: deVries, Alex
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Making the disk image optional
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:32:16 -0700

I've been playing around with Qemu a bit, and am doing development where
my rootfs is mounted through NFS and my kernel is on the host.  I've had
to run it with:

qemu -kernel bzImage somefakerawimage

Where somefakerawimage was the smallest possible disk image.  This was a
bit awkward.

A block device is needed to set up the boot sector properly, but the
block device can be volatile.  I've made a new type of block device that
just uses an allocated segment of memory.  If you don't specify a disk
image, it creates such a mem block device for the boot sector and
continues to boot.

I was hoping someone could tell me if this is the right approach to
fixing this problem before I went any further.  I've only tested it for
i386.

- Alex