qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Network Performance between Win Host and Linux

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Network Performance between Win Host and Linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:26:23 -0400

Ken,

I'll check that on Linux-on-Linux... it's likely just some Windows overhead. Windows is my guest OS priority, which is why I tested on Windows.

As for getting patches into the mainline, this is a job for the maintainers. Fabrice is the main person, but Paul Brook also merges a lot of patches in. I'm not sure what their process is, or to what extent they communicate with each other. I'm sure Paul and/or Fabrice would be kind enough to explain. I agree that there are lots of pending patches... in the case of yours specifically though, since it's so sweeping, I would guess that it probably needs more field testing before it becomes mainline.

Regards,

Leo Reiter

Kenneth Duda wrote:
Leo, thank you for exercising this stuff.

1. before your patches, the upstream transfers (guest->host) consumed
almost no CPU at all, but of course were much slower.  Now, about half
the CPU gets used under heavy upstream load.

I am surprised that only half the CPU gets consumed --- that suggests
there's another factor of two improvement waiting to be made.  If you
see anything like this with Linux-on-Linux, please let me know and
I'll try to track it down.

Separately, I'm curious about the path for getting these changes into
the qemu mainline.  If that's something you're in tune with and are in
the mood to summarize for me, I'd appreciate that.  We love qemu but
there are some rough edges and I think we have something like 16
patches we're maintaining internally, many of which might be helpful
for others.

     -Ken