qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] enh req: Allow ATAPI CD-ROM to be attached other than sec/m

From: Toby Thain
Subject: [Qemu-devel] enh req: Allow ATAPI CD-ROM to be attached other than sec/master
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:38:18 -0400

Per version 0.8.0, the ATAPI CD-ROM is always attached to IDE secondary/master (address 2). (See assignment to cdrom_index around vl.c line 4433.)

Bochs allows the CD-ROM to be attached to any of four addresses, my suggestion is perhaps adding a QEMU runtime option for this.

E.g. NEXTSTEP 3.3 installation has a quirk in that it expects an ATAPI CD-ROM to be primary/slave (address 1). Changing the ATAPI address helps with NS 3.3 installation (although mine goes on to fail for other reasons, after successfully detecting ATAPI drive patched to attach at address 1). I hope to soon be able to add NS 3.3 to the QEMU supported guest O/S list.

--Toby