qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-system-x86_64, Xen and CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION

From: Magnus Damm
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-x86_64, Xen and CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:40:00 +0900

Hi there,

I'm currently using qemu-system-x86_64 (from cvs) to do Xen
development for the x86_64 architecture. I find that x86_64 emulation
in qemu works pretty well as long as I use a non-smp x86_64 linux
kernel and ia32 user space together with CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION.

Unfortunately, if I run the Xen hypervisor (x86_64) together with a
dom0 kernel (x86_64) configured with CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION, then my
ia32 user space code segfaults in qemu but runs ok on real hardware.
Vanilla kernel (x86_64) configured with CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION works
well in qemu with my ia32 user space code though.

I'm quite busy right now, but if some hacker experienced with x86_64
qemu wants to improve the x86_64 emulation, now is a golden
opportunity. I have binaries and source code that might be useful.
More information could be found here:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-04/msg00778.html

Thanks,

/ magnus