qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Large USB-Patch Documentation and todays CVS patch

From: nix . wie . weg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Large USB-Patch Documentation and todays CVS patch
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:45:31 +0200

Hello Lonnie.

Lonnie Mendez wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>

>   Seeing as there is a release coming up this is most definitely not a
> good thing.  Initial testing yielded lots of this.
>   I'd like to see my all-in-one patch stripped out.  Then simply
> modifying the linux redirector to support the improved error handling
> (have it clear endpoint halt/etc) and other improvements.  Later, the
> new redirectors can be merged in and modified as necessary.
Nobody said anything about a short to come release. I have no problem to
suspend the patch until after this release. But then usb should stay as
untouched as possible.

>   The purpose of modifying the user interface to the usb layer also
> confuses me.  What was the reasoning behind changing host:busaddr.addr
> to host:busaddr:addr and host:VID:PID to host:VIDxPID?  This is
> something that should be abstracted in the layer and not handed down
> to the user.  Why display the bcdUSB revision and not the connected
> speed to the user (as is already done)?
The reason was a simple thougth of mine: a linux user could probably
better understand bus:device (it is something which he gets displayed
sometimes from libusb: libusb:001:002) but I m really open to change it
to whatever string you want. A other possibility is that we introduce
something like hostid:VID:PID. I can only tell you that I do not
completely like the old notation. (But as I said before, no hard
feelings about that, it is changed in less than a minute)

The reason for the bcdUSB revision is even simpler. A person who has
only used USB has no idea what full speed or lowspeed does mean. If you
look through the code you will notice that the speed setting was
determined by bcdUSB and so I thougth it may be better to display it. As
most people have a idea what USB 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 means.

With kind regards,
Tino H. Seifert