qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: solaris-sparc-slirp fix

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: solaris-sparc-slirp fix
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:59:14 +0200

Hi,

I did not accept your patch for two reasons:

1) You changed the guest vga frame buffer format and I don't think this is what you wanted (it can be useful to emulate VGA on big endian guests though - the current implementation for ppc guests is a hack). What is needed is to swap the host pixel format.

2) You added support for RGB swapping for 8/15/16 depths and I am not sure this is useful. Endianness swapping would be more useful for 15/16 depths.

Fabrice.

Leonardo E. Reiter wrote:
Ben,

You can use the patch I posted here recently to get QEMU to fix the BGR
problem internally.  It doesn't have to be done at the VNC level - and
in fact, this way, you can use it on the Solaris native X server (or
even SunRays) in 24-bit color mode.  I am attaching a new version of the
patch, complete with the detection logic (to make it automatic), against
today's CVS.

My original post:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-04/msg00181.html

The last (and fast) version:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-04/msg00195.html

An additional hack to get SDL to configure this automatically, without
needing the -bgr option on the command-line:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-04/msg00230.html

Maybe Fabrice or Paul can commit this since I addressed all the original
issues, but have yet to hear feedback on it.  It's working fine for
myself and for my customers using SunRays for several weeks now.  The
only issue is cirrus VGA in 16-bit mode seems to do some optimization
that bypasses the swapping code.  regular VGA or cirrus VGA in 24-bit
mode (on the guest) works fine.

Regards,

Leo Reiter