qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Feature request: -hda image file locks, and warnings for re

From: Troy Benjegerdes
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Feature request: -hda image file locks, and warnings for readonly
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 16:06:14 -0500

I managed to make the mistake of starting up two instances of qemu using
the same '-hda' win2k guest. Needless to say this rendered the image
unbootable.

What I'd like is for qemu to do some sort of optional (but default
behavior) file lock on the disk image, and spit out a warning and refuse
to start if another qemu process already locked the image. This would be
something you should be able to override if you really know what you are
doing.

I also managed to cause myself confusion by having an earlier image file
set mode '444' and the windows error messages didn't make much sense,
and I never got any sort of error indication out of qemu that the writes
had been failing.

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                address@hidden

Somone asked me why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz