qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] curses interface and tweaks for 0.8.1

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] curses interface and tweaks for 0.8.1
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 06:27:30 +0200

Hi,
since QEMU 0.8.1 is out and there have been some changes in handling
video devices recently, I re-diffed the old curses/ncurses driver and
made a patch against this version. While I was at it I added other
improvements and dirty hacks that I find useful, all the shebang is in
the file http://www.zabor.org/balrog/qemu-curses-etc.patch

The changes are:
* cleaned up the code, made the internal logic more.. logical.
* you can choose keyboard layouts with -k similarly to SDL (Fabrice
Bellard requested this).
* you can switch between user interfaces using the monitor command
"ui interfacenamehere", without restarting QEMU (while this command is
a bit redundand, many people asked for it):
  ui sdl -- switches to SDL interface,
  ui curses -- curses interface,
  ui cocoa -- untested,
  ui vnc -- kills the interfaces and starts this new VNC server,
  ui dumb -- don't do this.
* added virtual consoles support in the VNC server -- works same way
as with SDL as far as I can tell: Ctrl+Alt+2 switches to monitor, etc.
* you can set variable names from monitor with "variable=value" (no
spaces around `='), e.g. "TERM=xterm" might be important for the
curses interface and DISPLAY or SDL_VIDEODRIVER values matter for the
SDL interface. If you started qemu on the X display localhost:0.0 and
then went to a different machine, you can issue the following:
(qemu) DISPLAY=othermachine:5
(qemu) ui sdl
and the QEMU window should magically re-appear on the other computer's screen.
* QEMU saves monitor commands history to "~/.qemu_history" on exit
and restores the history when you run a new QEMU.
* improved "sendkey" command (tab-completion for key names, sending
keys by keycode number, some bugfixes). I described this in some older
mail.

Regards,
Andrzej
--
Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258