qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] using partition images

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] using partition images
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 08:26:20 -0400

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 12:20:28PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> A few ideas:
>
> - Use an external file 'bootsect.bin' as it is done for linux_boot.bin.

Done. I've decided to use the name bootmbr.bin because I think that name
describes its function more accurately.

> - Provide the source code of the boot sector.

After realizing that the original bootsector was actually a dump from an MSDOS
disk (and thus probably closed source) I decided to use BOOTNORM.ASM

BOOTNORM.ASM is from the FreeDISK FDISK (available
http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk and http://ffdisk.webaps.de/fdisk121.zip) and is
GPL.

> - Instead of copying the raw block driver, use the block driver recursively.

I'll work on this tonight. I've been thinking about doing this, since it would
allow one to use any qemu-supported disk image format as a partition image.

I can't think of any disk format that's heavily used in qemu that is normally
used for partition images except for raw. OTOH it might be interesting to have
qcow partition images.