qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix bgr color mapping on qemu on Solaris/SPARC

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix bgr color mapping on qemu on Solaris/SPARC
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:57:23 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2006 15:04 schrieb Dan Sandberg:
> Are you using an OpenGL directdraw surface for the graphics emulation in
> Qemu?

Qemu is using SDL, as this is a very portable library/framework. I'm not sure,
if SDL uses DirectX on Win32, but I'd rather think it does not. Of course one
might want to check this and maybe have a look at the SDL mail lists, if
DirectX was discussed there.

> My suggestion would be to write a frontend similar to VMware's for Qemu
> in Lazarus. Why Lazarus?
> 1. The fantastic GLscene is available for Lazarus making
> OpenGL-programming easy. Try: http://www.skinhat.com/3dpack/
> 2. With Lazarus a RAD graphic frontend based on OpenGL can be made and
> directly compileable for most operating systems without need for
> modifications.

There already are a few projects for external qemu GUIs, but for an internal
GUI it would have to be done in SDL, too, as to not introduce further
dependencies. Please keep in mind that qemu is ported to many platforms and
therefor the code would have to be very portable anyways.
If you're keen on doing a GUI in Lazarus, feel free to do so, but have a look
at the ml archive and some existing GUIs first.

With regards,
Jan Simons