qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: Support for multi-file raw images

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: Support for multi-file raw images
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:22:44 +0200

Hi there,

>  o If the files comprising the device are deleted (for example) while
>    QEMU is running then this is quite bad.  Currently this will result
>    in read/write requests returning -1.  Maybe it makes sense to panic
>    and cause QEMU to exit.

at the very least, the console should print an error. If you can keep
all the files open, deleting the file won't be a problem.

I think 99% of the software used today assumes nobody deletes its
files while it's running and it's not a very bad assumption. QEMU is
not particularly verbose about errors in general, but if it was going
to check for a deleted file, I think it should rather report an I/O
error to the guest than print errors to the console.

Greetings,
Andrew
--
balrog 2oo6

Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258