qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] w98se slow with kqemu, apparently some systems only

From: Mikhail Ramendik
Subject: [Qemu-devel] w98se slow with kqemu, apparently some systems only
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 16:24:39 +0400

Hello,

There seems to be an issue with guest Windows 98 SE on qemu 0.8.1 and kqemu
1.3.0pre7, on a Linux host.

Windows 98 SE is visibly very slow; and when qemu is run with -no-kqemu, it is
actually faster.

I have this issue on two different systems:

- Intel Celeron 2400 CPU, 512M RAM, RH9-derived, kernel 2.6.11 with some
patches including -ck
- AMD Duron 650 CPU, 256M RAM, Debian sarge, vanilla kernel 2.6.15 (run with
-m 64)

On the Intel system I also installed NT 4.0 (in a different image) and it is
fast with kqemu. (It has mouse problems - invisible wall, erratic behaviour,
all intermittent - but I know this issue is quite different and patches
exist).

This same issue was also reported on the user forum:
http://qemu.dad-answers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1476

However, other people on IRC have reported that Win98SE is fast for them. In
fact I have transferred my Win98SE image to another person, who runs qemu CVS
and kqemu 1.3.0pre7 on Ubunto dapper; he reported that it runs fast.

This seems to be an issue on some systems only, but I could not isolate the
key setup difference. I would be most interested in helping to pinpoint the
problem. I am ready to run any tests/patches, and I have an archive of
various old Windows systems (backups...) that I can try on request; I can
also pull CVS if necessary.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik