qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] objective benchmark?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] objective benchmark?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 23:12:03 -0500

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Hello,

As I have reported before, it seems that on my host linux system kqemu does not work with guest win98se.

Is there any benchmark that I could run in the guest, with and without kqemu, to check if this is so objectively? (Ideally I'd like two benchmarks - 16-bit and 32-bit code).

The vast majority of guest benchmarking programs are going to give you invalid results. The clock within QEMU (rdtsc and wall clock) are not very reliable and this is going to skew the results.

I suggest a benchmark that treats the guest as a server (something like specweb where the timing or thoroughput measurement is done on the host where time is reliable).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori