qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] vncplay (GUI performance analysis with VNC)

From: Troy Benjegerdes
Subject: [Qemu-devel] vncplay (GUI performance analysis with VNC)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:55:26 -0500

I was looking for a vnc prototocl analyzer and came across this:

http://suif.stanford.edu/vncplay/freenix05-html/

Abstract:

This paper presents VNCplay, a cross-platform tool for measuring
interactive performance of GUI-based systems. VNCplay records a user's
interactive session with a system and replays it multiple times under
different system configurations; interactive response time is evaluated
by comparing the times at which similar screen updates occur in each of
the replayed sessions. Using VNCplay we studied the effect of processor
speed and disk load on interactive performance of Microsoft Windows and
Linux. These experiments show that the same user session can have widely
varying interactive response times in different environments while
maintaining the same total running time, illustrating that response time
is a better measure of interactive performance than throughput. The
experimental results make a case for a response time measurement tool
like VNCplay.

I am thinking that this would be an ideal tool to actually quantify QEMU
performance, instead of all of us saying "Oh, this feels a lot faster".