qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Installing ubuntu's PPC image?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Installing ubuntu's PPC image?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:55:38 -0400

I'd like to install ubuntu for Power PC under qemu, which is one CD plus
network access so it seems pretty straightforward:

dd if=/dev/zero of=kubuntu-ppc.img bs=1M count=4096
qemu-system-ppc -hda kubuntu-ppc.img -cdrom kubuntu-5.10-install-powerpc.iso \
 -boot d

But I can't get it to boot from the iso.  I can get the run-from-cd one to
boot from the iso (if I feed it no hard drive), but I can't get the install
one to boot.

I'm not really up to speed on what the ppc firmware is doing, perhaps I should
be bugging those guys?  (Under 0.8.0 I couldn't get -kernel to work on ppc
either, the firmware would ignore it and try to boot from the hard drive
image anyway.  Haven't tried under 0.8.1 yet...)

Anybody here done this before?

Rob

P.S.  I'm also installing ubuntu for x86-64 with approximately the above
commands, which used to segfault qemu under 0.8.0 but 0.8.1 seems to be
chugging along so far...