qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ask for debugging linux kernel with Qemu 0.8.1 on Msys

From: Tieu Ma Dau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ask for debugging linux kernel with Qemu 0.8.1 on Msys
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:18:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Have you already read my previous reply? I wrote that:
[quote]
In fact, I can connect by using the port 1234 on Linux with the command: (I use arm-toolchain and run the command: arm-linux-gdb vmlinux)
(gdb) target remote localhost:1234
And the debugging mode run well (normally) but the problem arrives when running on Windows with Msys/MinGW
Furthermore, I had tried make the connection for debugging (target remote qemu-machine:1234) between localhost and Qemu as 2 computers on a LAN but it is not possible; although  I can make  ping between these 2 computers
[/quote]
So as you wrote, it must make the UDP connection between localhost and qemu? Because I don't understand exactly what you want to say in term of "ssh tunnel to debug remotely".
Best regards
Thanh

andrzej zaborowski <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On 06/06/06, Robin Green wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 05:35:13 -0700 (PDT)
> Tieu Ma Dau wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I've compiled Linux kernel 2.6.16 with kgdb on Linux. And after
> > that, I've tried to debug this kernel with Qemu 0.8.1 on Msys to
> > simulate ARM Processor. In fact, I've run the command below:
> > qemu-system-arm -kernel myKernel -initrd arm_root.img -s But I can't
> > make the connection from arm-toolchain-gdb to the port 1234 (by
> > default, this port must be openned by Qemu when using the option -s
> > for debugging) Furthermore, I've confirmed if the port 1234 is
> > openned or not with the command: netstat -ao and there is not port
> > 1234 openned. I've also try the option -p 123456 to change the
> > default port for debugging of Qemu but I've got the same result. Do
> > you know where the problem arrive?
>
> Port 1234 is the port on the virtual machine's IP address, not the port
> on the real machine's IP address. So you need to be able to access the
> virtual machine's IP address from the real machine. For this you can use
> tun/tap networking - see the docs. It is not possible to do this with
> user-mode networking.

Acutally you don't need networking in the guest. QEMU listens on the
host's port 1234 (and I think it listens on all interfaces, not only
localhost, but I'm not sure of this one -- if this is not the case,
make a ssh tunnel to debug remotely).

> --
> Robin

Regards,
Andrew
--
balrog 2oo6

Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258