qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] I want to add the ARMv6 instructions, who can give some

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] I want to add the ARMv6 instructions, who can give some advices?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:46:54 +0100

Paul Brook wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 08:11, wang lianwei wrote:
> > I want to add the ARMv6 instructions support to the QEMU, and now I am
> > analysing the QEMU architecture. I think maybe someone has done it
> > or doing it now.
> >
> > Can you give me some guide about this work or give your suggestions?
>
> I have already implemented armv6 and armv7 support in qemu, but am unable to
> distribute it for legal reasons.
>
> See the previous thread on this topic:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-03/msg00199.html
>
> If you want armv6 support in qemu your best bet is to contact ARM
> and persuade them to lift this restriction.

There were three suggestions in that thread, and persuading ARM Ltd to
lift the restriction was one of them.

The other two suggestions were:

   1. For someone who is not bound by an ARM documentation license
      to do it, for example by working out the instruction set from
      reading Binutils, GCC and Linux code, and from reading books
      like the "ARM System Developer's Guide", by Sloss, Symes, and
      Wright, Elsevier 2004.

      The objection was raised that although that would be possible,
      it would prevent some people (who are bound by an ARM license)
      from contributing to the new Qemu.

      I think that would not be a problem if the ARMv6 support were in
      the form of a contributed patch, which those people could avoid
      looking at.

   2. To add an explanation of why ARMv6 isn't supported to Qemu's FAQ.

Anyone in a position to add to the FAQ?

-- Jamie