qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] I want to add the ARMv6 instructions, who can give some

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] I want to add the ARMv6 instructions, who can give some advices?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:48:53 +0100

Paul Brook wrote:
> > Can you reveal to us what exactly your license prohibits, for example
> > by pasting that part of the license here?
>
> http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM_Cortex-M3_v7.html
>
> Specifically clause 2(i):
> "No right is granted to [...] use the ARM Architecture Reference
> Manual for the purposes of developing or having developed
> microprocessor cores or models thereof which are compatible in whole
     vvvv
> or part with either or both the instructions or programmer's models
     ^^^^
> described in this ARM Architecture Reference Manual"

Qemu is already compatible "in part" with the the instructions and
models described in the manual, isn't it?

So by the language of clause 2(i), aren't you _already_ prohibited from
working on Qemu's ARM code?

I suppose you could argue that you're not using those particular
manuals to work on Qemu's ARM code at the moment.

Even though you've read and understood those manuals... that somehow,
the knowledge you've gained from them (even "in part") isn't being
used to write the existing Qemu code.

That seems dubious to me.  Isn't it much the same as arguing that
you're not using those particular manuals to develop ARMv6 support, if
you can refer to other resources (books etc.) which provide the
necessary information?

-- Jamie