qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] New VGA BIOS

From: Nigel J. Terry
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New VGA BIOS
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:22:19 -0400

Fabrice Bellard wrote:
I commited a new VGA BIOS (no commit message because the mail was too big). Important changes were made in order to support some Linux distributions heavily using the VESA VBE extensions (such as GeexBox). The -std-vga option must be used in this case.

Fabrice.

Fabrice et al.

I downloaded and tested this new VGA enhanced version from CVS this morning. Running Windows XP as guest on FC5 as host with user and kernal kqemu, I found that QEMU exited with an error:

Could not open SDL display

when I tried resolutions of 1152 x 864, 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200. This occurred when I attempted to go full screen, worked fine in a window.
800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 worked fine in a window or full screen.

I am running on a laptop with a screen size of 1280 x 800 so the failing resolutions are when the emulated VGA is larger than the physical screen.
Is this expected behavior?

What I would really like is the ability to run at 1280x800 and be 1:1 with my screen when in full screen mode. Is this possible, or am I limited by XP?

Thanks for a great product

Nigel