qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Larry Brigman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:27:54 -0700

On 6/14/06, Joe Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why on earth would we want to make a crippled version of qemu?
>
> AFAIK "Creating" a VMware virtual machine is just making a config file.
> qemu doesn't have config files, so your question makes no sense.
Well, I was not thinking or suggesting of a crippled qemu version. I
asked the question because there are some software
appliances which are pre-built and pre-configured apps that are built on
a LAMP stack and packaged as a single image
type file. This image file can be downloaded and run on a product
similar to VMware Player. This is used for quick demo
purposes of an application with out the need to have a full virtual machine.

I am totally new to VM technologies but have played around with VMware
and the player as well. So, my question was just
an inquiry to see if that capability would make sense on a qemu based
product that is open source.

However, thanks and appreciated your comments/feedback!

...(removed additional quoted material)

If you are looking at something like rpath/rbuilder then qemu will run
those images that
are packaged as raw HDD.  If you set the options right the running
image has network access also.  I am trying to figure out how to get
the network access options working
for the windows version of Qemu.