qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Joe Lee
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:34:31 -0400

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Joe Lee wrote:

Some of us appriciate the fact that qemu has no "GUI" per se. ;0)
Your right! the keyword is "some" but not all. I think if QEMU is to be
adopted by the masses it will need to come up with a quality GUI-Frontend.

You're right! However, as Julian pointed out: it is less than fascinating to work on a GUI, _especially_ if it is for the masses who tend to criticize without contributing*Footnote 1*.

So, unless the people who want a GUI so badly do it themselves, I think they will have to hire somebody to do it for them. Remember: since it is free, there is customer, and therefore no customer can be lost!

Ciao,
Dscho

[1] I remember we had a great discussion on this list, where somebody thought it would be such a good idea to _demand_ features. And since it is Open Source, the good developers should work for free.

BTW, I am curious to know how much would it cost to develop a good GUI-Frontend for QEMU that would be comparable to VMware. How much man hours would this likely take?

Joe