qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Joe Lee
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:04:36 -0400

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Joe Lee wrote:

You're right! However, as Julian pointed out: it is less than fascinating to
work on a GUI, _especially_ if it is for the masses who tend to criticize
without contributing*Footnote 1*.
I am not sure I agree if that thought. It really depends on the mission or
goal of the project. In the case for QEMU, I am not sure what its goal/mission
is. Is the project just to scratch an itch to server a few people who needs
it? Is it to fill a void over what exist in commercial software? Or, is the
intent to develop something FREE and then offer some support service around
the product?

As far as I know: Fabrice started the project because he had this idea that translation should be faster than interpreting, and not much more difficult.

He proved his point. And many people actually use QEmu, which is all the better.

As far as users criticizing, that always going to be the case in Open Source - Show me a project where users don't criticize.

Yes. And developers will always complain about those who profit and don't contribute.

As far as contribution goes, not everyone has the talent and ability to contribute - Like me.

I doubt that. You _can_ contribute. You actually do it right now.

The way I see it, criticizing (when done in a constructive way) is not a bad thing. It is what drives the project when others share there views on features/functionality good or bad!

This is a contribution! By telling what is important to you, you contribute to the future value of the project (note that I say "project", not "product"...)

There is a subtle point-of-no-return though. The story I was referring to, was where a person did not contribute, but instead called people names if they did not do what she wanted, which was effectively to work hard and for free. Which is just not fair.

Ciao,
Dscho

P.S.: Actually, it was a "he", but I say "she" here, because he was a real pussy, and I am very happy he left the list.
I share your view. Complaining and bitching in the wrong way is not a good thing.