qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Rick Vernam
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:39:37 -0500

QEMU leaves me with very few 'itches to be scratched' ...

The basic tasks that a QUI should confine itself to, IMO, are already pretty
darn easy - define/manage a VM (via a shell script for me), start it, stop
it, pause it...etc..

Even so, I've been thinking about this for some time - months probably...
What I'd develop, if I were to undertake such a task, is a very simple app
that can start qemu according to some configuration, and simply hook into the
monitor to issue such commands as sendkey, stop, cont ...etc ...

I do not imagine a need to have this app embed the qemu VM in itself, only
start it & hook into the monitor.  Besides, I don't want to loose precious
real estate - I like the window that a running VM is in just how it is - no
changes.
I've used VMWare in the past a lot.  I found the toolbars & menus to be
nothing more than clutter & annoyance.  The majority of the work I do with a
VM has everything to do with the VM, and nothing to do with things that can
be done with an additional GUI, however it would be nice to have one for
simplifying those extra tasks...

Specifically, I imagine something sitting in my Sys. Tray.  This Sys. Tray
icon menu thing would have options to invoke qemu's monitor commands for easy
access ...or a list of all VMs, each with a sub-menu (I'm thinking stop,
cont, loadvm, savevm, commit, usb stuff, change device x).
Also, I can use the Sys. Tray Icon to bring up it's window with all the
niceties to create a new VM, manage existing VMs...etc.

Right now, I have a shell script that has the 'configuration' of my VM -
changing of that 'configuration' would need to go in the GUI.

I also use the monitor thing for stop, cont, loadvm, startvm, commit, usb
stuff & change device x - that would need to go in the GUI.

Beyond that, what does more bling really bring to the table?