qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-arm: Make commandline args available to semihosting

From: Wolfgang Schildbach
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-arm: Make commandline args available to semihosting
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:20:50 +0200

Hello list,

ARM ADS/RVCT compiler generated executables by default use "semihosting"
to communicate with the host, including retrieval of a commandline. The
semihosting implementation up to now did not implement this functionality;
this patch adds the SYS_GET_CMDLINE semihosting call, such that
semihosting executables get a command line when executed through qemu-arm.

This is a reworked patch an earlier version of which can be found at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-06/msg00323.html . The
old version contained a bug which effectively limited the commandline to
128 bytes.

(quoted from that earlier mail:)

The patch below implements the SYS_GET_CMDLINE semihosting call, by
keeping a global pointer to the user space commandline arguments, and by
re-building a space-separated command line in the guest side supplied
buffer. This patch has two shortcomings, which I would love to see
feedback on:

- I am keeping a global pointer in order to have a handle on the command
line arguments inside do_arm_semihosting. Is there a better place to keep
this?
- The ARM (guest) side supplied buffer is only 256 bytes long; if the user

supplied command line is larger, the semihosting call will fail
(gracefully). A better strategy may be to build the string on the initial
guest stack (similar to loader_build_argptgr()) and then hand that pointer

to the guest.

I am not quite sure whether the ARGS[] array should be locked before
access (then again, none of the functions in do_arm_semihosting() do
this).

This is tested with both big- and littleendian emulation (i.e. qemu-arm
and qemu-armeb).

All comments welcome.

--
Wolfgang Schildbach, Senior Research Engineer
Coding Technologies GmbH