qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Make -std-vga the default?

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Make -std-vga the default?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:48:00 +0200

Hi,

I've been using -std-vga for a couple of weeks now, and it works well
at least for the guests I've been using (Win2K/XP, Red Hat 9, SuSE 10.1).

Really? My win2k install couldn't do anything useful with -std-vga. It would
only do the very basic 640x480x4 mode. I'm fairly sure win9x can't do
anything useful with straight VGA either.
Same here

Overall it seems to work much better than the default 5446 simulation
and it seems to me that non-developer users, who are presumably the larger
fraction of the user base, would benefit from having -std-vga as the
default. The "it just works" property is important for new users, and
-std-vga has more of that than the 5446 just at the moment.

In my experience the Cirrus emulation "just works", and is supported by pretty
much every OS out the box. AFAIK Windows earlier than XP doesn't needs
additional 3rd party drivers to support anonymous VESA hardware.
That are most of time difficult to find and commercial only.
Not to say for OS/2, Windows 3.x, etc

Regards