qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Have any ideas about how to detect whether a program is

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Have any ideas about how to detect whether a program is running inside QEMU?
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:33:59 +0200

James Lau wrote:
> My program is a utility for internet payment. It takes an important
> role in the payment process to ensure security.  One of the key
> functions is that the program should detect which machine is paying.
> So while virtual machine (like QEMU) is present, it can cheat the
> program.
Well, to say it bluntly: Your security concept is flawed, as you cannot
assume a client to be trusted. Rethink your concept. A Kerberos 5 like
model might help you here.
> Checking the hard disk model, cpu type, and other hardward
> informations makes little sense.  Because the users or the hackers can
> easily modify these informations. So I need a QEMU internal checking
> method that hackers can't easily bypass.
Just for your information: There's a project derived from qemu named
'argos' which tries to setup a high interaction honeypot to fool hackers
into revealing their techniques and tools. If they can fool skilled
hackers to take the vm for a real system, then your programm can be
fooled as well.

With regards,
Jan