qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Pentium D with guest Ubuntu 6.06 server kernel panic with k

From: R. Armiento
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Pentium D with guest Ubuntu 6.06 server kernel panic with kqemu
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:13:46 +0200

Hi,

Thanks to everyone involved in the qemu project, it is great software.

I have some issues with kqemu in kernel mode;

Host is running qemu-0.8.1 or qemu-cvs-2006-07-05_23, and kqemu-1.3.0pre9. Host OS is Ubuntu 6.06 server.

To reproduce: Start qemu as:
qemu -kernel-kqemu -cdrom ubuntu-6.06-server-i386.iso -hda test.img -boot d
select 'Install to the hard disk'. Output is as follows:
------------------------------
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel
ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
PCI: PIIX3: Enabling Passive Release on 0000:00:01.0
Invalid operand: 0000 [#1]
PREEMPT
Modules linked in:
CPU 0
EIP: 0060:[<c01011c6>] Not tainted VLI
EFLAGS: 00010246 (2.6.15-23-386)
EIP is at mwait_idle+0x16/0x30
[... register dump, etc ...]
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the id
-----------------------------

Running qemu without '-kernel-kqemu' OR booting the guest install cd with kernel option 'idle=poll' or 'idle=halt' avoids the kernel panic.
(idle=halt is much faster than idle=poll, though).

The error looks very similar to the one reported here:
But I believe that reported issue should not appear in recent qemu, since SSE3 is now emulated (right?). (At least the patch in the end of that thread seems to already be included in the sources?)

So, my hypothesis is that there is some other feature that appears in my host CPUID, which the booting linux image tries to make use of, but which qemu does not emulate.

The host CPU is a dual-core Pentium D. Here is relevant lines from /proc/cpuinfo:
------------------------------
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 6
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Rickard
http://www.dewmill.com