qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Pentium D with guest Ubuntu 6.06 server kernel panic wi

From: R. Armiento
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Pentium D with guest Ubuntu 6.06 server kernel panic with kqemu
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:39:41 +0200

R. Armiento wrote:
The error looks very similar to the one reported here:
But I believe that reported issue should not appear in recent qemu, since SSE3 is now emulated (right?). (At least the patch in the end of that thread seems to already be included in the sources?)

Joachim Henke wrote:
Yes, this patch was included, but it doesn't solve that problem. As this message [http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg03972.html] states, the 'monitor' and the 'mwait' instructions have not been added. But your guest OS assumes them to be present, because your host cpu has the MONITOR flag set in CPUID.

I see; so the issue I reported is in fact the exact same issue as the one reported in march. And the situation is that we are waiting for some kind soul to implement the monitor/mwait instructions (and according to Fabrice in that thread "doing nops should suffice").

(While I am able to boot with idle=halt, I'm still worried that some other software than Linux idle function will happen to also use the wrongly declared MONITOR feautre and crash the emulated host...)

Best regards,
Rickard